Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Client-Less and...Happy?

As of yesterday, I'm client-less. I won't go into the particulars of how it all happened (too painful right now), but let's just say that I haven't had the best few weeks of my life. On the personal side, I went to the doctor 3 weeks ago and had infections in my ears, sinuses, and kidneys. WTF? Let me tell you: ear infections are painful. I know feel incredible empathy for babes who get them frequently. I was miserable and practically in tears for 3 days.

I'm in school full-time in an MBA program, but my classes are odd. Each semester is 4 courses, but you take 1 at a time for 6 weeks. The pace is rapid-fire, and you don't have the downtime of traditional semester designs. So, of course, this illness happened the week of a major team project and then my final paper. Now I'm in the first week of a statistics class and already dreadfully behind.

And then my dad. He was diagnosed with colon cancer in 2005. He had chemo and radiation then and then a round of chemo in 2007. Last week he found out the cancer has spread to his lungs, so he's in the hospital for yet another round of chemotherapy. I'm not sure how he's doing.

Brian and I are leaving our church for deeply personal, and sad, reasons. It's not just a "don't go back Sunday" kind of thing. We're on the board. I helped start and direct the children's choir. We volunteered for all kinds of special projects. It's a huge ordeal to extract ourselves gracefully, which isn't my strong suit anyway.

So the point is that right now our lives are chaotic, and now I'm unemployed. Happily so, really, but unemployed nonetheless.

After tossing back a couple of shots of bourbon last night, I sat down and thought about it a lot. I decided to go with what I know. I'm going to exercise my blogging muscles. I've done some blogging here and there but never anything serious. I'm going to take some time to relax and build up a couple of blogs, including this one. And I'm going to have fun damn it. I haven't done that in a long time.

1 comment:

Stacy said...

My father-in-law died earlier this year of lung cancer. It was a devastating experience. I really hope your father bounces back from his bout of cancer. It's probably a good thing you don't have any clients right now; in addition to focusing on writing for yourself, you'll be able to spend more time with your father.

As for the church thing ... My husband and I stopped going to our church earlier this year for personal reasons. This parish had been our sanctuary for a decade and it was a tough decision, but one that has since led us closer to God.

And congrats with the MBA program. You can do it!