Thursday, March 13, 2008

Dealing With Interviewees

Over the past three years, I've not done much interviewing. When I first started writing web content, I appreciate the move away from chasing down interview subjects, getting the runaround from public officials, and honoring interviewees without compromising the story.

I was ecstatic to get back into the swing of interviewing people, but I'd forgotten the things interviewees do that drive me nuts. The two big annoyances for me are taking a long time to get back to me and trying to tell me how to write the story.

I've learned a few techniques to deal with these problems, though, and at least for now, I'm so excited, these small inconveniences don't bother me. Here are a few ways to deal with the first problem - the long wait interviewee. I'll address the other client next week.

The Long Wait:

1. Contact the interviewee again within a small amount of time. Remain cordial. "I'd just like to see if you will have a chance to speak to me by Friday at noon."

2. ALWAYS give a day and time for your deadline. NEVER make this deadline when you actually need the person's responses. Give yourself as much leeway as possible.

3. Go to another source if possible after a certain amount of time. You can find another detective with whom to discuss identity theft. A different mom can give you a perspective on raising a child with autism. Don't be afraid to let a source know when you've

No comments: