Sunday, March 9, 2008

Learning to Focus

One of the problems I have in general and in my writing is an inability to focus. I've tended to go in 10 directions at once. Then I get a new idea when I'm working on something else, and I want to stop and change course midstream.

It's a character flaw.

Allow me to say that again. It's a character flaw.

I need to learn to focus to make my worklife more productive. Julie Morgenstern, in her book Making Work Work, discusses this issue. She says that having half of your projects completed is better than each of them only half completed. I suffer from the sort of reasoning that leads me to finish all of my projects halfway.

This weekend I had to reassess where I am on the Gender Studies Project. Because the umbrella project has four parts, I've viewed them as a whole project. In just a week, though, I discovered a frustration from seeing myself working constantly without the feeling of making any progress.

My goal for this week is to get the website portion of the project ready to launch by March 15, which is the goal date. I have the basic layout of the site, but I need to customize the nine main pages. I also need to write or edit 9 articles and get them laid out. Once I'm launched, I can work on the next project in the series.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can't tell you how much I understand what you are talking about. I've got three school projects started and no motivation to work on them to finish them up. Just found your blog link on a WAHM post. Glad I did.